Pages

Monday, February 28, 2011

Move with the Music

Monty and I have been taking dance lessons the last couple of weeks, thanks to a Christmas gift given us by our eldest son. We've been having the time of our lives learning the waltz, foxtrot, merengue, two-step and country swing. It has been a lot of fun going on 'dance dates' each week.

I am learning to follow my husband's lead. It is not always easy. He is learning to not step on my toes. That is not always easy either. I feel these dance lessons go right along with life. As Christians, we believe that God ordained the husband to be the leader of the family unit, and the wife is to be the helpmeet. She is to follow her husband's lead. He is to love his wife as Christ loves the church, which means not crushing her toes. We need to be counting the same beat and moving in the same direction. We need to be dancing the same dance.

We are both figuring out our roles on the dance floor, as well as always working on bettering ourselves in the marriage roles that God has put us in. I am continually fighting the urge to lead. Monty is trying not to step on my toes. We are moving with the music- together and in sync- and making our lives a beautiful dance.

7 comments:

Kelsianne said...

Great post Aunt Maellen and so true! Sadly, many Christians don't follow the biblical family picture.
Maybe you've heard it before, but here is a quote that I thought of when I read this. (Author unknown.)

"The woman came out of a man's rib. Not from his feet to be walked on. Not from his head to be superior. But from the side to be equal, under the arm to be protected."

Maellen said...

That is a great quote, Kels! Thanks!

Shanelle ~ aka "Jane" said...

beautiful post and I love the verse that Kelsey worked into it as well. So fitting!
Happy happy thoughts (not always easy, but happy none the less!)

Marissa said...

What a great analogy! I love to dance and I agree that it correlates with marriage in many ways. All of life is a dance, so to speak, learning to work together and fit into the role God created us for. Whether in the role of leader or helpmeet. When we dance in sync to God's music, it's a beautiful picture!

So glad y'all are enjoying the dance lessons! I would love to know where y'all are taking lessons. Sounds like y'all will be ready for the next dance (whenever I get around to planning another one). =D

I just discovered your blog yesterday....I had no idea you had one. =( So glad to know now! =D

Maellen said...

Thanks, Shanelle (Jane)! It took me a moment....

Marissa- we are taking them at Arthur Murray Studios on Eubank. I'm thinking I want all my kids to take lessons at some point,also. It has been really fun!

Next dance? We're ready!

Lydia said...

Great words and oh so true!!! Dance away!

caitygirl said...

that's a really great picture Mrs. Blodgett! and we definitely need to get a dance planned for this summer!